Copyright © 2023 Tsaaro Consulting Inc. All rights reserved.
Cyber Security Maturity Assessment
The Cybersecurity Maturity Assessment is a comprehensive evaluation that assesses an organization’s defensive posture with a focus on specific procedures that safeguard critical infrastructure, applications, and data. The examination also places a particular emphasis on organizational effectiveness, the maturity of internal policies and procedures, and operational best practices for each control area.
Importance of Assessing Cyber Security Maturity
- Identifying the Weak Links: The evaluation highlights areas where the organization’s security posture requires improvement and where security measures do not meet generally recognized best practices.
- Helps with Communicating Defensive Status: Executives often need to provide clients and stakeholders with assurance that appropriate information management measures are in place and actively demonstrate this. An impartial, non-technical assessment of the current cyber maturity levels and recommended measures, aligned with the organization’s risk tolerance and desired maturity, is provided to the key decision-makers.
- Efficient Cyber Insurance: Many insurance providers require an assessment to determine the sophistication of an organization’s security measures. Implementing a cyber-security maturity model can position your business to secure the best rate from your insurance carrier.
- Regulatory Compliance: The cyber security maturity model can also be integrated with relevant frameworks for organizations operating in a regulatory environment, enabling compliance to be achieved as part of the overall cyber security strategy without the need for two separate implementations.
- Facilitates Improvements: Conducting these evaluations regularly is advantageous for many organizations since continuous improvement is a vital component of complying with various requirements (e.g., annually). This provides important stakeholders (such as senior management, the board, regulators, or shareholders) with a consistent benchmark to assess and demonstrate ongoing improvement and increasing levels of maturity.
These assessments help identify the strengths and weaknesses of an organization's cybersecurity posture and emphasize the need for ongoing cybersecurity improvements.
Following a digital transformation, organizations often need to reassess their security controls and procedures to maintain and improve their security posture. Information Security Maturity Assessments (ISMAs) can assist in this process.
In hybrid or multi-cloud environments, it is essential to establish a consistent level of security maturity across all environments, as each cloud provider has its own set of security controls and regulations. Cybersecurity maturity assessments can help organizations choose and apply the necessary security policies to enhance their overall security posture across all environments.
By conducting frequent security maturity assessments, organizations can demonstrate proof of their security posture and advancements in security to their clients.
How Tsaaro Consulting can help?
Tsaaro Consulting differentiates itself from other providers in the CSMA industry through its tailored methodology, expertise in data privacy and compliance, and non-technical assessment. These aspects enable organizations to achieve higher levels of cyber security maturity. It can be summarised as:
- Personalised Evaluation for Cybersecurity: Tsaaro Consulting offers a customized approach to CSMA with tailored evaluations.
- Data Privacy and Compliance Expertise: Tsaaro Consulting’s expertise in data privacy and compliance helps firms achieve and maintain compliance.
- Non-Technical Evaluations for Clear Assessments: Tsaaro Consulting’s approach to CSMA includes a non-technical evaluation of cyber maturity levels.
- Benefits for Regulatory Environment: Tsaaro Consulting’s approach is beneficial for organizations operating in a regulatory environment.
How It Works ?
The Cybersecurity Maturity Assessment focuses on specific controls that protect critical assets, infrastructure, applications, and data by assessing your organization’s defensive posture. The assessment also emphasizes operational best practices for each control area, as well as the organizational effectiveness and maturity of internal policies and procedures.
The Cybersecurity Maturity Assessment is typically performed against the Center for Internet Security (CIS) Top 20 Critical Security Controls, but can be tailored to align with several different cybersecurity control sets and frameworks based on your organization’s goals, industry, and maturity level. Additional control sets and frameworks we specialize in currently include:
- NIST Cybersecurity Framework (NIST CSF)
- NIST Special Publication 800-53 (NIST 800-53)
- NIST Special Publication 800-171 (NIST 800-171)
- ISO/IEC 27001:2013 (ISO 27001)
- Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS)
- Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA)
- New York Department of Financial Services Cybersecurity Regulation 23 NYCRR 500 (NYDFS)
Your assessment will be conducted by our resident Advisory Services experts, who average over 20 years of experience across different areas of security and compliance. This ensures your plan makes the most sense for your organization’s needs.
As part of the Cybersecurity Maturity assessment, Tsaaro will also include a validated external vulnerability Assessment (up to one external /24 CIDR range), validating critical and high vulnerabilities, as well as an electronic social engineering exercise. The electronic Social Engineering phishing exercise is performed for up to ten employees and utilizes non-complex pretext to measure employee security awareness by attempting to capture credentials.
But what does the assessment actually entail? A Tsaaro Cybersecurity Maturity Assessment engagement is divided into three phases and consists of onsite interviews, remote phone or video interviews, a validated external vulnerability assessment, email phishing, and a detailed review of policy documentation and operational procedures. We aim to be as efficient as possible, so you can help us by being prepared to answer questions that span people, processes, and technology (with the focus being on people and processes). We will get deep into the weeds talking architecture, strategy, risk, and roadmap to formulate a comprehensive view of your security environment.
The report is intended to address areas with the highest impact and risk, and give your subject matter experts detailed information for implementation within your organization.
The final output will consist of the following:
A one-page summary with an executive analysis and scorecard
A roadmap for your organization
Key tactical and strategic recommendations
Observations by the consultant(s)
Identified gaps and focus areas
A detailed report to help management
We help you to grow your business faster & easier.